1. I got 8 hours of sleep last night. 8!! My nugget actually slept through the night and I just can’t believe it. Life is just full of wonder isn’t it?
2. Sometimes I do the ‘dumb thing’ and think about the past. I’ve deemed this dumb, silly, and quite honestly ‘stupid’ because it causes me to neglect the present. It get’s me no where. Fail. Spring foward…
3. It’s finally Spring! Yes, i know it’s been Spring for a while but not for us. For us it’s been snowing, windy, and brutally cold. Thanks mid-west. Thanks.
4. My mother told me today that Chipotle has removed all GMOs from it’s restaurants. It’s nice to know someone cares.
-Side note- For my friends that like to go out to eat. Noodles and Company has started offering ‘Buff Bowls’ which are healthier versions of some of their most popular bowls. This means they sub the noodles for spinach and double the veggies. Thumbs up to the Bangkok Curry Buff Bowl. I am a bit afraid to look up whether or not they use GMO ingredients though. Ignorance is bliss.
5. I found a new sight called, ‘www.oatsforyou.com‘. Every single recipe contains oatmeal. At least I think it does, I haven’t done too much exploring. But Oatmeal Pecan Butter muffins sound pretty delish, no?
6. I made granola bars last week. I was taking a super wonderful picture of them by the window and tripped when I got up. Peaches! Down went my granola bars. At least I got a photo and my floors are clean (shh).
All credit for this ridiculously delicious, no bake, recipe goes to Angela Liddon from Oh She Glows; I consider her to be somewhat of a Granola Bar Queen/Vegan Queen in general. I mean, she made chocolate chips, oats, and coconut fit into a cute little healthy snack. How can you go wrong?
One note, they crumble if they’re not cold so wrap and eat them fresh out of the freezer.
1.5 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
1 cup rice crisp cereal
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup roasted almond butter
1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup (or brown rice syrup - see note)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of fine grain sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, to taste
1.5 tablespoons non-dairy mini chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life brand, optional)
Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way so it's easy to lift out.
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, rice crisp cereal, sliced almonds, coconut, and chia seeds.
In a medium pot over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Remove from heat and stir in the almond butter, coconut nectar, and vanilla, until smooth.
Pour wet mixture over dry and stir well until thoroughly combined. Add a pinch of salt to taste and stir again.
Spoon mixture into the pan and roughly spread out (but don't pack down yet). Sprinkle on the chocolate chips in an even layer. Wet hands lightly and then press down the mixture until even. Use a pastry roller to roll it out and pack it in even more.
Transfer pan to the freezer for about 10 minutes until firm. Slice into bars, wrap, and store in the fridge or freezer. These bars fall apart easily so I don't recommend leaving them at room temperature for longer than a few minutes.
Nutritional info: (based on 14 servings, per bar with chocolate chips): 193 cals, 12.6 grams fat, 16.5 grams carbs, 3.5 grams fibre, 5.8 grams sugar, 5 grams protein.
Note: I do not recommend swapping the coconut nectar or brown rice syrup for any other liquid sweetener. Other sweeteners won't be sticky enough to bind the bars.
Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/05/23/no-bake-almond-joy-granola-bars/#ixzz3YWvW70Dh
www.modeleatsblog.com C. 2017