Happy 4th of July!! I wish it was happier for those in my hometown of Alpine, Utah. I hope the fire subsides soon and residents can return home :(. Anyway, tonight I will be munching on Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo. They’re 362 calories for the Patty, Bun, and Mayo… um, score? I’m feeling a Meatless Monday on a Wednesday. My B.
Thanks to the Grienkes for letting us ‘chill’ for an hour to witness this.
talk about beautiful
They serve these burgers at “Johns Garden” in Malibu. It’s our favorite lunch spot for the winter months. Miss it. enjoy.
Okay, these burgers really deserve a picture… They’re so yummy! However, you’re going to have to forgive the picture… i was so hungry. Also… if you serve these with sprouts its just divine… my grocery store is lame and doesn’t carry them due to the past recall. Darn.
I didn’t have buns so i used mini pita pockets that i cut in half… I’m sure yours will look much nicer!
with Chipotle Mayo
Adapted from SkinnyTaste
For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
- 3 1/2 tbsp light mayo (Or Greek Yogurt if you wish!)
- 1 tbsp canned chipotle in adobo sauce
For the Black Bean Burgers:
- 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jumbo egg
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup quick oats (use gf oats for gluten free)
- 4 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (Martin’s)*
- 1 small hass avocado, sliced thin
- Prepare the Chipotle Mayo by combing the mayo and chipotle peppers with adobo. This will be very spicy so decrease if you can’t take much heat. (however, the avocado will help to cool your mouth).
- When patties are frozen: If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
bake about 10 minutes on each side.