I’ve had so many compliments given from this buttercream. It’s from the Gourmandise school in Santa Monica and It’s decadent, smooth, luscious, and it works every time. On April Fools Day last year I made these Carrot Cake Cupcakes to announce my pregnancy. I topped them with Pink Buttercream and they were a huge hit.
You can color your buttercream by using freeze dried fruit or food coloring. You can even make one batch and flavor it three different ways to slightly differentiate your vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. I’ve tried, Strawberry, Apricot, and Raspberry!
Egg White Meringue Buttercream
5 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 lb. butter, cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla or ½ vanilla bean
1) Place a medium sauce pot filled 1/3 of the way with water and bring to a simmer.
2) Place the sugar, salt and egg whites in the bowl of stand mixer. Holding the bowl over the
sauce pot, whisk the mixture until it feels warm to the touch.
3) Place the bowl on the stand mixer and beat with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form.
4) Once the bowl is cool to the touch, add the butter, small pieces at a time.
5) Add the vanilla. Switch to paddle attachment to smooth out the buttercream.
Variation: Cream cheese Buttercream: After you have added the butter add 4 oz cream cheese.